Friday, December 26, 2008

Post Christmas Run Down

If you read my previous blog about Christmas, you have some insight to my thoughts on the holiday and what’s really important. Don’t let that fool you, however. I do have a keen affection for gifts (who doesn’t…just a little bit?) Seeing a box with my name on it transforms me into a giggling little girl! The excitement of a new widget just for me is exhilarating! I will shake it, measure it, look for any gaps in the pretty wrapping paper, and when I was younger, I was known to actually unwrap a gift and rewrap it! I’m not good with surprises – I have to know – everything!

My husband says I am terrible to shop for – and he’s right. I have very specific (and few) wants. Several weeks ago, I sent him a picture of the Blackberry Curve, telling him I wanted it for Christmas. He said OK. Woo-Hoo! So that Friday, I went to the store and bought one. I loved it. It was so cute and functional! That was my gift from hubby – no surprise (that’s good in the beginning, but a let down come Christmas morning.) That story is to be continued…

This year, hubs and I took A-Cat shopping. She needed to get me a gift with hubs and I had some last minute things to grab. I had told hubs I needed new cookie sheets the day before. That afternoon at lunch (pre-shopping), I made mention to how much I miss my Uggs. I even went on to tell the two of them what size I wore in everything from sweaters to jeans to bras to boots (I added in the sweaters, jeans and bras so I wasn’t too obvious). Well, my not-so-subtle hint went unheard. They bought me the cookie sheets. Not bad – very nice, but now I’m expected to make more cookies. Here’s the kicker: That night after A-Cat went to bed, I spent hours locked in the bedroom wrapping all the Christmas gifts. Hubs came in and asked… here it comes… he asked me to wrap the cookie sheets that were to be my gift. Let’s just say it was a Christmas miracle that there was not an impression of his dear little face in those cookie sheets when I opened them Christmas Morning. I must be fair and mention that after all the gifts were opened that morning, hubs said, “Wait! There’s one more – over there!” A-Cat grabbed a small box and with gleaming eyes handed it to me. I immediately recognized the unwrapped box as one from a local jewelry store. It was finally there – the excitement of being a kid again! I opened the box and inside was a beautiful heart-shaped silver locket. Yea for me! What’s better than a gift – one that you love and was actually picked out by your kid!

A-Cat was thrilled that Santa brought her a Cabbage Patch Kid – one with red hair and blue eyes none the less. We were just thrilled that Santa didn’t bring anything that needed to be assembled! She wasn’t thrilled, however with the name – Inell. She quickly changed Inell to Jessica. I was thrilled to once again smell that baby-powder scent those cute things give off!

Later that morning we went to my Dad’s and spent a couple hours there. We left with some very nice gifts (including a trip to Disney World!!!) and a few Wii injuries. On the way home we realized we had no food at home and of course there wasn’t a store open (I did mention we could go to a movie and eat there, but hubs wasn’t up for it!). Luckily, our handy-dandy standby of Walgreen's was open and stocked with frozen pizzas!

Overall, we had a very nice Christmas, but I must admit, I am so glad it is over. Now, the chore is getting the tree down and ornaments put away. Once again, my post-Christmas resolution is that I will plan better and start earlier next year!

Sorry for the ever-so-boring run-down of my ever-so-boring Christmas. Maybe next year with all my early planning and preparations, the post-Christmas blog will be a bit more exciting. But then again, I doubt it!



A-Cat fell asleep amidst the chaos of 20+ people Christmas Eve! She was makin' sure Santa was comin'!

No comments: